Business rarely goes as planned. A successful day for your people likely includes many pivots as they adapt to the unexpected. Without this flexibility, progress would stall every time your team encountered an interruption. The manufacturing process also has to deal with unforeseen problems, changes in customer needs, and disruptive technology.
Traditional manufacturing methods were hard to adjust and thus made adapting to new realities difficult. However, Industry 4.0 has changed manufacturing. Companies now use data to influence their manufacturing processes. It’s not uncommon to see a plethora of IoT devices on the shop floor that collect and share information within your organization — an integral part of adaptive manufacturing.
Adaptive manufacturing helps suppliers improve product quality and consistency while reducing waste. It also makes manufacturing processes more responsive to the customer’s changing needs.
What Is Adaptive Manufacturing?
Adaptive manufacturing uses data and technology to respond to changes in the market, customer needs, and hardware requirements. It needs to be data-focused, responsive, and innovative to adjust accordingly. How does each of these qualities manifest themselves in the adaptive manufacturing process?
- Data-focused. Businesses collect more data than ever, and manufacturing is no different. Edge computing allows manufacturers to collect and analyze data from the shop floor in real-time. Manufacturers also collect data on how customers use their products in the field. This data provides insights into operational efficiency, market trends, and product improvement opportunities.
- Data is useless if it’s not used. Manufacturers can adjust machinery to optimize performance or correct faulty processes with the data collected through analytics. They can also use customer data to make improvements to their products. Because data is collected on-site, manufacturers are able to respond quickly to emerging needs.
- A truly adaptive manufacturing process goes beyond simple tweaks and can be adapted to accommodate disruptive technologies. Adaptive manufacturers aim to work on products ahead of the curve and provide a competitive edge to their customers.
Working with a partner who leverages adaptive manufacturing gives you a leg up on the competition, especially when it comes to edge computing.
Edge Computing Presents Unique Challenges for Manufacturers
Edge computing is growing fast, and business needs vary greatly. Some companies need compact edge servers that are durable and sit on the shop floor, while others may be looking for full-rack servers that can run advanced applications in AI and ML. Whatever you need, adaptive manufacturing makes it happen.
Another edge computing challenge is distributing custom hardware to edge locations in a timely manner. While centralized computing needs more equipment, edge devices need to be sent to multiple locations, often in different parts of the world. Edge providers need to deal with shipping logistics, customs, installation, and maintenance to ensure smooth operations.
Intequus Uses Adaptive Manufacturing To Power the Edge
Our industry experience has taught us the importance of being agile. Edge customers need service that conforms to their needs and shortens their speed-to-market. We use adaptive manufacturing to accomplish these results. How does this set us apart?
- Enhanced flexibility. Our facilities are equipped to manage surges in demand. Additionally, our adaptive system and processes mean that we can handle late-stage schedule adjustments, ensuring your hardware works exactly as you need.
- Predictable delivery. Multiple production facilities give us redundancy in the manufacturing process and protect against slowed production due to equipment failures.
- Faster speed-to-market. Our industry experience and adaptive manufacturing enable us to integrate disparate sub-system components into single server solutions in less than two weeks. Additionally, we can handle complex processes like rack integration and deploy in as little as four weeks.
With Intequus, you can focus on satisfying your customers instead of managing your edge infrastructure. We provide end-to-end hardware solutions that ensure you can deploy the hardware you need when you need it. All of this is backed by a global supply chain that allows us to deploy worldwide. Talk to our team today if you want to discuss how we can help you deploy custom edge solutions.