Think about the applications you’ll use today. It’s likely that they are responsive, well-designed, and help you accomplish something of value. But what happens when they are sluggish? The limp response is frustrating and makes you feel like you’re working with a disadvantage — even when you have no particular urgency to use an application.
Now, imagine that same sluggishness when you’re navigating with Google maps. Because of the urgency, the frustration turns into desperation. A minor inconvenience turns into something unacceptable in your mind. This example illustrates why edge computing is more important than ever for mission-critical applications. Only with edge computing can companies deliver the performance users want and expect. And, this is even more true for companies developing innovative technologies.
Many new developments require enhanced connectivity to function properly. Some of these innovations include autonomous vehicles and remote healthcare. Let’s look at the innovations that edge computing is making possible.
5 Advancements Powered by Edge Computing
Edge computing lowers latency and improves performance for users, especially those in traditionally underserved regions. Improved networking is key to enabling innovations that are dependent on data and network speeds. What advancements are possible with edge computing?
- Immersive augmented reality. Consumers are becoming more familiar with augmented reality (AR). They use AR headsets and glasses in mobile games and use AR features on their phones to visualize how furniture, clothing, and other accessories will look. However, this is only a taste of what AR can accomplish. The metaverse is gaining popularity, and with it will come new uses and increased demand for augmented reality. Latency is essential to an AR experience that creates a truly immersive environment.
- Smart cities. Smart cities will use data and IoT devices to collect and share information that improves the lives of their citizens. These cities would be capable of monitoring structures to anticipate repairs, helping citizens with routine tasks, and improving the cities energy consumption. To make this possible, city planners would leverage edge computing, positioning nodes at key locations — enabling quick data processing and seamless collaboration of smart city technologies.
- Edge video orchestration. Edge orchestration combines edge-cloud infrastructure, edge-cloud communications service provider (CSP) services, and edge applications to create a seamless experience. It allows the system to act autonomously and dynamically to develop precise workflows in real-time — speeding up the operation of the edge network. Edge video orchestration is highly specialized for video services. It has the most significant impact for users at the far edge of the network and those attending large events, where organizers may be using video to create additional revenue streams.
- Data-optimized manufacturing. Accurate, real-time data collection and analysis helps manufacturers improve the efficiency and production of their operations. These improvements help them reduce waste and better keep up with supply chain demands. Data collection is done by IoT devices on the production floor. However, to ensure teams can act on insights in real-time, manufacturers need edge servers nearby to process data streams and return the insights quickly.
- More uses for artificial intelligence. AI is a core element of many modern innovations. In 2021, companies like Microsoft, Google, and Facebook created new tools leveraging AI technology. For example, Microsoft and OpenAI developed Copilot to help programmers write better code. Additionally, Google released the 2nd version of Translatotron, an application designed to translate speech directly from one language to another using AI. Edge computing infrastructure is essential to making AI technology available and accessible to more users.
Edge computing provides the network performance many modern applications need and is the key to making new technologies feasible. However, many organizations may run into roadblocks when setting up their edge infrastructure.
Fuel Your Innovation With Simplified Edge Computing Infrastructure
Edge infrastructure should be flexible, scalable, and built for your needs. We help companies design edge solutions that enable them to provide superior service to their customers. Whether you need a hyper custom solution or something pre-built, we’ll be by your side from design and deployment to maintenance and decommissioning. Our full-service edge solutions manage the infrastructure so that you can focus on providing excellent service to your customers. If you’d like to enhance your edge infrastructure, let’s talk.