White Box Servers for Edge Computing
5 Compelling Reasons to Choose White Box Solutions
As with many big-brand server parts, you pay a premium for the name. But paying extra for branded products doesn’t always get you added benefits. In fact, you may find some advantages adding whitebox hardware to your infrastructure. Let’s consider five of those benefits.
1. Save money. White box servers can leverage a wider variety of components, which is useful for complex builds, and can help price/performance optimize configurations for specific applications. These factors result in cost savings, especially when deploying your solution at scale.
2. Better customization. White box servers are typically made to order, giving you more control over your build. Additionally, since these servers aren’t tied down to branded products, they are built with a wider variety of components allowing you to create unique products not found anywhere else.
3. More energy-efficient. White box server customization allows you to build servers to your exact needs. Since you don’t run hardware that’s more powerful than needed for the job, the result is lower energy consumption and reduced cooling costs.
4. Accessible maintenance and support. The fact that white box servers use readily available components with industry-standard interfaces means that servicing your hardware is easier. You can even service hardware in-house or with a third-party vendor.
5. Shorter lead times. Using standardized hardware and components streamlines procurement and purchasing. Additionally, parts that are hard to find can be substituted with readily available components to accelerate lead times.